Yes 5 33.33%
No 3 20.00%
Sometimes 7 46.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2008, 11:32 PM   #1
AngmarKing
Tar Alcoholmie

Horror Movies

I just finished watching "The Ruins", and I must admit I was quite impressed with it. It was much better than expected.

It got me to wondering how many people here like horror films.

As for me, it's probably one of my favourite genres. I love a good horror film, but often times I find the cheesy B movie horror flicks even more enjoyable.

My favourite horror films are Halloween(the first one), The Fog(original), and I think I'll add "The Ruins"to the list.

Please vote, & if you like horror, post your favourite films.

Last edited by AngmarKing : 07-14-2008 at 11:39 PM.
AngmarKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:22 AM   #2
marybluefairy
Fairy Queen

Re: Horror Movies

love 'em. not sure about the newer ones like "saw," though. i grew up on "nightmare on elm street" and "friday the 13th." the campy ones are the best! i don't know, do movies like "the orphanage" count? i liked that one. however, old horror movies don't do it for me. i remember a few years back going through all the "classics" like "rosemary's baby" and "the omen" and i just didn't find them scary.

My Collection
The Blue Forest Blog

"A generous heart, kind speech, and a life of service and compassion are the things which renew humanity." -Buddha
marybluefairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:19 AM   #3
NAZGUL-KING
Numenorean

My wife and I are huge on the horror flicks and I agree with AK that the original Halloween is at the top of the list. I would have to put the original Night of the Living Dead at a close second.

NAZGUL-KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:31 AM   #4
Blackthorpe
Ring-Bearer

I like the classics, like Dracula and Frankenstein, or others with vampires and werewolves and the like. I'm not that big a fan of most of the more modern monsters, personally.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
TheKhan
Valar

I like horror movies like 'The Birds', which is one of my personal favorite movies, or 'The Ring'. I'm not so much a fan of the 'let's see how many people we can gut with a machete in this installment' school of horror. I hated SAW, never saw the next three. Too messily and pointlessly violent.

Mahal is my personal favourite horror movie. Madhubala at her very best. Nekromantik, Cannibal Holocaust, the Russian film Spirit of Evil, Opera and City of Lost Children are all fairly close, though.

Oddly enough, most of them are foreign. Hmm.

TheKhan
TheKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:06 AM   #6
Abandonada
Eldar

Horror movies scare me too much--I'm such a wimp when it comes to them! Makes me so mad, too. I wish I could enjoy them.

Abandonada
Abandonada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:44 AM   #7
marybluefairy
Fairy Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abandonada
Horror movies scare me too much--I'm such a wimp when it comes to them! Makes me so mad, too. I wish I could enjoy them.

Abandonada

my college roommate was afraid of them too. i got actual claw marks in my arm when we went to see scream 2. but she liked to watch them, anyway. some network used to show horror movies on sunday nights and we would all watch them together. good times.
marybluefairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:31 PM   #8
Garulf
Ring-Bearer

I rarely watch anything anymore, but I can like a well designed thriller. From what I heard I might have liked 'Signs' or 'Clover Field'. I really dislike the bloody/gore type though. I know to a point, people go because they want to get startled and jump out of their seat if not their skins, but many do it by simply getting more disgusting.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:25 PM   #9
Ithilethiel
Healer of the Spirit

When I was in my early teens, I loved horror movies. I really don't care for them anymore. Too much gore in most of them.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:36 PM   #10
Blackthorpe
Ring-Bearer

I really liked Signs. It was the right kind of scary for me.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:23 PM   #11
thewiseent
Valar

The Shining! Those two girls etc scared the living life out of me.
Vampire films I like too as they *can* tend to have more depth.

Sorry but I thought signs was rubbish! but then again I live in southern UK where the circles are made and know a few of the makers (and they're not green bodied saucer flying murderers)!
Old 07-30-2008, 05:53 PM   #12
Fingolfin
The Orc Whisperer

I have a love hate relationship with horror movies. They thrill me, especially great ones like “The Exorcist,” “The Shining” and “Dawn of the Dead.” But certain types of horror movies tend to leave me feeling disturbed and sort of depressed (not in a clinical sense though).

I refuse to watch the “Saw” films. I’ve seen enough snippets to know they’d just sicken me. I’m not a fan of purely sadistic movies. To me “Saw” falls into that territory; so does “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre” although it’s more artful in its own crude way.

Zombie movies tend to leave me in a dark, existential mood; but I’m sort of enthralled by them. I thought “Dawn of the Dead” was great in many ways. Then again, I’m not a fan of gore or what I would call “torture horror.”

Having said that, I appreciated and liked “7ven,” though I thought the end was borderline cruel. That movie, by the way, freaked out my wife. She walked out of the theater clearly shaken.

I would say horror is not my favorite genre, but there’s a gene in my being that sort of draws me to them, like slowing down to watch a bad car crash.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:50 AM   #13
Garulf
Ring-Bearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingolfin
I have a love hate relationship with horror movies. They thrill me, especially great ones like “The Exorcist,” “The Shining” and “Dawn of the Having said that, I appreciated and liked “7ven,” though I thought the end was borderline cruel...I would say horror is not my favorite genre, but there’s a gene in my being that sort of draws me to them, like slowing down to watch a bad car crash.

That pretty much nails the conflicting emotions Fin, and expresses my own feelings towards them better then I could say.

Morbid fascination is another expression that has been around a while. Has anything really changed in the last 40 years ? I would say it has. We loved our horror movies back then too, and a few were always pushing the limits, but what was considered acceptable to depict towards general audiences has moved slowly and surely towards what I would call sick.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #14
jamtrax
Ring-Bearer

i'll admit that i'm a closet gorefest fan but the recent ones i've seen are outright disturbing...hostel and the saw series jump right up in mind. so sick that i've sworn off travelling to europe alone....did i fail to mention i've never cringed so much in movie before that i had to turn my face away from the screen most of the time?